Tuesday, August 4, 2009

cultural shock

It's only been a few short days but we have been pretty busy. Sorry for my delay on updating my blog but the Internet issue has been a complicated one. The only working one is much farther than anticipated and is very limited and oh so slow. So I'm doing my Updates via my iPhone which to my suprise works amazingly well (yay for AT&T) sorry in advance for grammer mistakes it's much more difficult on a phone. And I will only be able to pictures after I return home.

Home base is very much home and very relaxing the staff is amazing and super nice they really take good care of us and really want us to have the best experience we can. Food is amazing as well. At times I'm not really sure what I'm having but I havnt had anything that was bad yet. I can really taste the creole flaver which is really nice since I'm use to it!

Tomorrow after work we are going to the waterfalls and this weekend we are going to cape coast which I'm really excited about. Other things plannned while I'm here include batik lessons and bead making lessons as well as going to a monkey sancuary. Yesterday we went into the market to get some beautiful fabrics and the bank or cedi Which I the currency they use. 1 cedi is about 1.50 USA. Later that night we had an amazing experience because we had local drumming and dancing performed for us and afterwards they taught us dances and how to use some instraments which was VERY entertaining

Today was our first day actually at work and it was pretty rough. the kids actually stop school this Friday but where I'm working it is also a day care. It was a free day because they just finished exams. So the kids where allowed to play around but if they got out of hand the teacher used a cane on them and hit them very hard. The kids are ages 4-5. And it really scared me but I was told this is really part of the culture. Tomorrow we go to the under 2 day care so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed they don't do the same to them , if they do and it makes me uncomfortable was told we can change placement.

Tonight we have an ewe language lesson which is really interesting and pretty hard.

I find it even more hot in Louisiana so it actually been really nice overcast and small breezes. It's so beautiful

Well that's all for now! Sorry how long it is!


0 comments:

Post a Comment