Thursday, August 6, 2009

loving it

It's been pretty amazing since being here and it's hard to believe almost a week has gone by. The weather has been nothing like expected. I expected reallllly hot! But I find back home in Louisiana much worse! The humidity is a lot worse though and everything always feels really damp and heavy. So No one is ever really dry. We don't have hot water but the freezing cold shower is so refreshing after a long day. I also thought the bugs would be way worse and I have yet to have a mosquito bite or have to use any spray, others have to put a ton of spray on and still have huge bits all over so I really lucked out so far. We have two sets of bunkbeds per room and I have two other ppl in my room and we have bug nets over our beds which is nice cause we sometiMes get lizards and geckos and other things in our room.

The other day we went to the wli waterfalls which was breathtaking. It was a 45 min hike to the moutain which was very hard for me and it took me a bit longer but I made it! I am pretty proud of myself for that and who can say they swam under the waterfalls in Africa? The hike was a million times better going back down where we all did some shopping!

Placement has been pretty hard to deal with at times. Since tomorrow is the last day of school we were told we didnt need to go to the school so me and my partner are going to the library. Where alot of young ones go to learn to read English. It has been closed down for a bit because no one has been able to work it. But starting Monday we are going to the nursery which is being run by the same ppl as the school I was at. So we will see how it goes. I don't think I can deal with it If they cane kids as well.

Tomorrow after placement there is a group of us around (14?) and we are all going to cape coast. For the weekend. We will be going to a canopy walk, slave castles and a crocodile park which was all recommended and all very cheap and since we are volunteers we get a discount. We are staying is a hotel that is actually huts on the beach. Very basic but very nice and cheap.

Time to sleeeeeeeep!


0 comments:

Post a Comment